Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bulletproof Coffee & Homemade Almond and Peanut Butters

If you were in the LA Fitness Spin Class last Friday, you were able to get a taste of how delicious my homemade almond and peanut butters were. You might have also tired the "Bulletproof Coffee."

Here are the recipes for all three and a little bit more about each...


Almond & Peanut Butter

Ever since I was a kid I've loved peanut butter, and seriously, who doesn't (other than the poor souls that are allergic). Back in those days my parents kept the pantry stocked with JIF. In fact, JIF remained my peanut butter of choice through high school and almost all of college. I can't remember when I actually started getting interested in what I was eating, (the organic movement, GMOs. etc,) but I do remember one of the early changes I made was peanut butter. Next time you're at a supermarket, take a look at the ingredient list and compare JIF with a good natural or organic peanut butter, it's crazy!

All you need to make peanut butter that tastes awesome is peanuts & salt. The stuff I made for class last week was simply Planters dry roasted peanuts and sea salt. First, I lightly chopped up a few nuts and set them aside (you need this to make crunchy peanut butter). Next, I put 2 cups of peanuts in my Vitamix, ran it for about 45 seconds, slowed down the speed, added the chopped nuts and that was it!

Almond butter is a bit more difficult, only because you need to use roasted nuts and you need to add a bit more oil since the almonds don't have as much natural oil as peanuts. I use 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for an extra kick of goodness.

That's it, simple, homemade nut butters with minimal ingredients!

Bullet Proof Coffee

Butter in coffee? Sounds crazy I know, but if you tasted it after class last week you know it's awesome! The recipe comes from biohacker Dave Asprey who discovered Yak butter coffee while treking in Tibet.

Click here for the full story & recipe.

Sometimes I make it with just coconut oil because I like the taste, but normally I use Dave's upgraded MCT oil. I'll also use Newman's organic coffee from my Keurig is I don't have any of Dave's upgraded beans available (or I'm to lazy to grind them). You can get all the ingredients you need at the bullet proof exe website, or do what I do and order from onnit.com. I get all my supplements from this site and they have some great 'bullet proof coffee packages' under the 'foods' section.

Click here to go to Onnit's webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment